Monday, October 31, 2011

A Bitter Cold Vacation at Storrs

A look back at my 3 day Ruined vacation at Storrs. It happened to be the first time I went back since I moved out to Chicago before 5 months.

I have listed it from worst to the best.

Things that went wrong

1. Chicago to Boston flight: the weekend started off with a 3 hr delay of the Flight to Boston, which was re-routed to providence for 2 hours because of some landing difficulties in Logan airport. It resulted in a 3 hr delay, so Reached Logan at 8 pm instead of 5 pm and in turn reached Storrs at 10 pm. Entire Thursday was over.

2. Work from home: I planned to work half day from Storrs on Friday (7 am to 1 pm CST). This did not go well because of 2 reasons: I forgot my VPN connecting hardware and laptop charger in office. Both were essential for my laptop to work. I figured out a solution for VPN but couldn’t find a charger in time. L

3. Busy schedules on Friday: in my entire 3 year stay in CT, this was the first time; I saw that people were busy on a Friday afternoon. Things had changed drastically. Whoever, I called didn’t pick up the phone or were busy doing something.

4. Unexpected Heavy SNOW: the super villain of my ruined weekend. It freakin’ snowed the entire Saturday, making life difficult for everyone and delay/ruin all my plans of meeting people.

5. Power Outage: the Super Villain’s Super weapon. Power went off at 2 am on Sunday morning and did not come back until I left Storrs at 2 am Monday morning. Still not sure if they got power back.

6. People: I planned this trip basically to meet everyone I knew at UCONN and Storrs. Unfortunately, once I went there and only realized I hardly knew anyone there now. So many new faces. The old ones were probably tired of seeing my face over and over again, that some of them didn’t even meet me in these 3 days.

Things that could have been worse

1. Transportation: Luckily, I decided to get a rental car this time to go around to places. It proved worthy (even though I ended up spending a bit more than I expected) else, I would have been stranded in one place depending on others to take me to places.

2. Diwali Function: as I mentioned before, I thought I knew a lot of people, going to Diwali function made me realize one thing... I was an Outsider now. It was proved as soon as I entered the hall, with a $20 price for ticket (first time in 4 yrs, I paid for a Diwali ticket). It continued for next 1 hr where I scarcely found anyone I knew among the crowd that came in.

Things had changed everyone I knew had a different group now. I was not in anyone’s circles anymore, but fortunately, everyone whom I knew talked to me for at least a chit-chat enquiring about things, which is way better than being the loner in a crowd.

3. Power Outage: even though the apartments had lost power, the University campus had power. So it became a savior for my phone as a charging point and a place for meeting some friends. I can’t imagine that Sunday without the Campus. Yes, things would have been much worse without it.

Things that went right

1. I have finally learnt that even I can “Let go”. J

2. I had my first experience driving in rain and snow conditions in the USA. Esp. at high speeds in a highway and it went all fine without any trouble.

3. I drove at graveyard time amidst big scary trucks to reach airport on time for return, another new experience.

4. I made 8 new Friends, some I already knew on Face book but met them for first time.

5. A realization that “No matter what changes, there are still some people with whom you can re-live past experiences”.

6. A reason to smile that I am remembered even now by many, for a lot of simple things/help I had done in the past.

No comments: